- Satine is
37cm = 14.6" high
- Satine is a porcelain ball jointed doll
- Everything is this work is carefully and patiently hand made by the
- All Satine dolls are unique because I always sculpt the eyes and some
of the features in the leather hard faze (thatís when the porcelain is
just out of the mold and itís like soft clay).
- This doll is painted with porcelain paints that are fired in a kiln
oven at 720 degrees Celsius (1328 Fahrenheit) and became permanent. The
porcelain paint is translucent and therefore several layers have to be
applied in order to achieve deepness and expression and bring the doll
to live. It takes approximately one week to paint one doll because after
each layer is applied and fired, the kiln needs to cool dawn for a
period of around 8 hours. It's a long process but really worth it
because these paints are permanent, they don't suffer any alteration
with sunlight and they cannot be removed or scratched; it's like a
tattoo in the porcelain surface.
- All the porcelain parts that compose this doll are assembled with a
complex spring mechanism. Every joint has a separate spring that is hold
by a steel pin allowing movement (the spring works like a muscle).
- This spring mechanism allows the joints to hold a large variety of poses
mimicking the human body movement.
- Every joint of the doll's body is leather lined. This means that there
is a layer of thin leather in between all the spheres and the sockets.
allows control of the movement and protects the joints. I found a
process of hiding the leather inside the sockets that works wonderfully
and does not change the function of the leather lining, plus it looks
much better! I use this process only on the knees and elbows
- All my porcelain dolls come with glass eyes unless there is a special
request from the buyer.
- Every wig for these dolls is made by the artist using the finest mohair.
- The clothes are made with vintage and antique fabrics and laces.
NOTE: all Satine dolls have their own character and personality. The face
painting, the eyes, wig and costume gives all these dolls a unique
appearance. I consider all Satine dolls as one of a kind!